Monument record MDR14108 - Chalybeate well (disused), Nether Lane, Millington Green, Biggin
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a chalybeate spring in Biggin parish, which is very efficacious in scorbutic and cutaneous diseases. It is in the occupation of Mr John Booth, Lane Head, and is situated near his residence. (1) 'Chalybeate Well' is marked on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It still appears to be in use in the early 20th century. (2-3) Chalybeate Well is still marked on modern OS mapping, but it is no longer in use. (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 458.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2627 4775 (13m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||BIGGIN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 3:44PM