The Brittain Colliery Engine house was built c. 1848 from red brick with blue brick dressings and a slate roof with wide eaves. It is a single storey building of 2 bays. Each side has two semi-circular headed windows with Gothick traceried metal windows (now boarded up) and projecting stone sills. The north gable wall has a similar semi-circular headed window to the centre and a plank door below a stone lintel to the left. There is a small square opening above the window to the left. The interior has been gutted. Brittain colliery was founded by the Butterley Company, between 1845 and 1848 and was mined for over 50 years. (1)
Consists of unusual head stocks (see SMR 24710) partially encased in a round brick tower with a gutted engine house. (2)
Grade II listed engine house at Western Pit assessed under MPP Coal as Derby 2. Western Pit is though to have worked both coal and iron ore. (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158952.
Bibliographic reference: 1975. Council of British Archaeology Panel on Industrial Monuments. p11.
Unpublished document: Instone, E. 1995. Butterley Industrial Landscape (Derby .2), 16th August 1995.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4154 5177 (10m by 11m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 11:06AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.