The extent of Ashbourne medieval deer park, as suggested by Wiltshire & Woore . In about 1546, a map was drawn up to settle a dispute over enclosure of common pasture between Thomas Cokayne and Matthew Kniveton. The Cokayne family held land in Ashbourne under the Duchy of Lancaster from the 14th until the 17th century. The c. 1546 map shows a paled park leading from Thomas Cokayne's house. The Cokayne family were keen hunters; and Thomas Cokayne wrote a treatise on hunting on his tomb, 1537, in Ashbourne Church, part of which describes him impaling three parks. It is considered likely that one of these parks was at Ashbourne. From the c. 1546 map it is clear a park existed, and documentary evidence from 1600 places it at Clifton and Compton, perhaps centred on Lodge Farm. Here a convincing plot can be traced on OS mapping, covering much of what is now a housing estate, Keepers Ley, and Ashbourne Golf Course. Interestingly, an adjacent plot is shown as a moat on the Sturston Tithe Award, perhaps the site of an early manor house. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 22-3.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1778 4551 (1253m by 1378m)
CLIFTON AND COMPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2020 8:45AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.