A continuation of the Derby (little Chester) to Buxton Roman Road. From Buxton, the road continues north-westward in very nearly the same alignment as that from the south-east. For the first mile, the present main road follows the former course of the Roman road, running along the south and west sides of Corbar Hill. Then the present road bears away to the west, but the Roman road continues straight on up the hill as a narrow, somewhat sunken, road. When it reaches the moors above, it becomes a rough terraced roadway which, although almost upon one alignment, manages to follow a reasonably level course past White Hall and Wythen Lache. The road is accompanied for a mile by the parish boundary. It descends at last with increasing steepness, though maintaining its general line, to cross the valley at Whaley Bridge. The final portions of the road are still in use as Elnor Lane and Old Road in Whaley Bridge. Climbing the opposite side of the valley very steeply from the railway station, the course is then represented by Whaley Lane, which upon reaching the 1000 foot contour turns north-westward and runs very straight along the hillside to Disley. The route is later engulfed in the urban area of Stockport, but there seems little doubt that the very direct road onward through Stockport to Manchester, often followed by parish boundaries, does indeed mark the course. (1)
The causeway of the Roman road is clearly visible at SK 0338 7629 [SMR 7156]. (2)
The general line of the Buxton to Manchester Roman road has been known for centuries. It was one of the earlier turnpikes, the date of 1724 being given for the Act authorising it [see SMR 99060 for the turnpike road]. This inevitably means that much evidence of Roman work is overlaid or destroyed. Nevertheless, diversions over the years are unavoidable and it seems certain that a Roman surveyor would not have chosen the line taken by the turnpike through Whaley Bridge. A more direct line is to be expected, and signs of this have been found at Reddish Farm, Whaley Bridge. Here, three partial sections revealed the west edge and ditch of a road. The east edge and ditch have not so far been proved, but a resistivity survey gave convincing indications of a buried agger. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Margary, I D. 1957. 'North-West England', in Roman Roads in Britain (volume 2). pp 91-7. p 97.
Article in serial: Wroe, P. 1982. 'Roman roads in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 102, pp 49-73. p 65.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0393 7547 (5455m by 8794m)
BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2017 11:07AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.