The stables at Kedleston were built in 1768-9 to replace the stables that were demolished to make way for the new house. They also replaced the temporary stables of 1759-60. In 1989, part of the main north range was used for accommodation and the remainder was used for storage. The interior of the west range had been recently refurbished by the BBC for the making of the television series 'Nanny'. The coach houses were used as garages and storage. They were not accessible to the public. (1)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 34 SW PARISH OF KEDLESTON KEDLESTON PARK 3/44 13.2.67 The Stables GV II* Stable block and coach houses, now various uses. 1768-9 by Samuel Wyatt, based on a larger scheme by Robert Adam. Red brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile and Welsh slate roofs. Five ridge stacks. Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves cornice. Two storeys. Main stable range L-plan, with a half return range forming a courtyard. North elevation of 3-7-3 bays. Symmetrical centre part has seven giant recessed round arches with stone impost band acting as the sill to seven Diocletion windows. The centre bay is open below as the carriage arch. To the left are two wooden cross windows and a doorway with stable doors and overlight; all with wedge brick lintels. To the right are two similar windows and a blocked door. Taller pedimented end pavilions break forward. Each has a giant round arch with impost band and Diocletian window. Circular windows in moulded square surrounds, on each side. The ground floor has central double doors with louvred overlight under a wedge brick lintel, flanked by similar doors with overlights (to the west pavilion) and by cross windows (to the east pavilion). Archway at the east end linked to a single storey pavilion at right angles, which has a pedimented projecting centre bay with stepped round-arched entrance, flanked by doorways with blind windows (partly rebuilt in C20). East elevation of six bays with six Diocletian windows with continuous sill band and six casements above under wedge brick lintels. The courtyard elevations are plainer, with doors and cross windows to ground floor and casements above. First floor sill band. Return range on south side of six bays, with six coach houses, each with segment headed entrance. Later single storey range attached to south east of main range. West range has an impressive stable interior, almost the full length of the range. Five bays, with two rows of Tuscan Doric columns. Groin vaulted plaster ceiling. Pilasters against the walls and blind Diocletian windows on the inner wall echoing the windows in the outer wall. Original stable fittings.
Source: Unpublished information from Mr Leslie Harris, Kedleston Archives
Listing NGR: SK3114240322.'
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 69-70.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1109125.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.