Monument record MDR14128 - Lamp post (replica), The Square, Buxton

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2014 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Ornate lamp post with coat of arms (Buxton) on the base, and an ornamental lamp bracket. The photographs show the lamp post in September 1986 being directly outside the Opera House main entrance. The lamp post is no longer there in October 1986, as it had been demolished by a Dorothea vehicle. They replaced the lamp post at a cost of £11,000, and it is shown in January 1989 in its original position outside the main entrance. (1) Google Maps Street View [2014] shows that the lamp post has moved since the County Treasure photographs were taken in the 1980s. It is no longer directly outside the Opera House, but is now positioned further to the south, and was presumably moved when the area was redesigned and repaved. It has been painted blue with gold detailing. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.1, with photos.
  • <2> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 28/01/2014.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 0568 7348 (point)
Civil Parish BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 31 2018 10:55AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.