Monument record MDR14145 - Barton Hill Quarry, Barton Hill, Birchover
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1950 AD)
- None recorded
Barton Hill Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. (1) A Quarry is shown behind houses in Birchover on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the Quarry had considerably increased in size. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century shows the quarry had enlarged again and names the area as Barton Hill Quarries and Dungeon Quarry. (4) Modern maps show Barton Hill Quarries as being disused. (5)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 132, Quarry Number Q115.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. accessed 21/02/2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2403 6235 (351m by 305m)|
|Civil Parish||BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:39PM