Monument record MDR14146 - Birchover, Stanton Park, New Park Quarries, Birchover Road, Birchover
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Birchover and Stanton Park Quarries were included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. In New Park Quarry, which is now disused, there is a Regionally Important Geological Site. (1) There is a Quarry, including a crane, shown adjacent to Birchover Road on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the quarry has considerably increased to the north east. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century shows three quarries, named Birchover and Stanton Park and shows a new quarry close by called New Park Quarry. (4) Modern maps show Birchover and Stanton Park Quarries are still in use, the New Park Quarry area is shown as disused. (5)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 132, Quarry Number Q115.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. accessed 21/02/2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2428 6259 (326m by 412m)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:39PM