Monument record MDR1415 - Fieldgrove Lead Mine, 700m north-west of Sheldon, Sheldon
Type and Period (5)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)
- SHAFT (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)
- WINDING CIRCLE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)
- COE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
Gin circle, large lined engine shaft and adjacent building dating from the 1830's - has connections with Magpie Mine (SMR 430). (2). Mine worked until 1860. (3). Lead mine complex mentioned by Faver in 1811. Has large engine shaft and adjacent building remains. There are also several shafts in the complex, climbing shafts and gin circles. The mine was disposed of in 1828 for 'want of workmanship' and given to Richard Holme, who sold it in 1840 to William Wyatt who worked the mine further. Wyatt sank the main engine shaft and intended to build a drainage sough. The mine was worked until its abandonment c.1870. (3). The hillocks and shafts are in somewhat variable condition. Features include two mine complexes with large hillocks in belland yards. Both have engine shafts with well-preserved walled gin circles and large coes; the one to the north-west has two storeys with a fireplace and chimney flue. The mine to the south-east also has a flat hillock-top dressing floor, a stone-lined rectangular, water storage pond and a possible slime pond. (6).
- <1> SDR6682 Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1811. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire, Vol. 1.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C11; Willies, LM; 16/12/1973.
- <3> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 79-80.
- <4> SDR13122 Map: SPAST. 1988. Plan (Fieldgrove Mine Survey).
- <5> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Fieldgrove Mine.
- <6> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No.62, p 88-89.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1690 6956 (572m by 524m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHELDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2013 10:34AM