Monument record MDR14151 - Pilhough Quarry, Pilhough Lane, Stanton in the Peak
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1950 AD)
- None recorded
Pilhough Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. (1) Pilhough Quarry is shown south west of Pilhough on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century labels the original Pilhough quarry as 'Old' and shows a new quarry, called Pilhough, to the south of the original. (3) Modern maps show Pilhough Quarry as disused. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 132, Quarry Number 115.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. accessed 25/02/2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2472 6473 (242m by 441m)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2015 12:56PM