(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Thatch Marsh Colliery is situated on Axe Edge Moor on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1880. (1)
Modern maps show earthworks are still extant in the area. (2)
From at least 1690 coal was available from a small coalfield to the west of Buxton. The principle pits at this early date were at Thatch Marsh and Goyt's Moss which produced coal from the Ringinglow and Yard seams respectively. Nether was of high quality and the latter was particularly poor being very shaley; at nearby Whaley Bridge is was locally termed 'kiln coal', being used mostly as fuel for lime kilns and similar industrial structures. (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. accessed 25/02/2014.
Article in serial: Leach, J. 1995. 'Burning lime in Derbyshire pye kilns', Industrial Archaeology Review.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0270 7067 (57m by 91m)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 2:40PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.