Monument record MDR14184 - Artefact scatter, west of Burnwood Farm, Ockbrook
Type and Period (3)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Early Neolithic to Post Medieval - 4000 BC to 1900 AD)
- HEARTH ? (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- KILN ? (Unknown date)
- None recorded
During the late 1990s, organised field-walking was carried out at this location by members of the Ockbrook & Borrowash and Ilkeston Local History Societies and the Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts were recorded, with large spreads of fire-cracked stones typical of those used in hearths of the Neolithic to Iron Age periods. Roman pottery sherds were abundant in concentrations and there were scatters on most of the fields walked. Medieval and post-medieval pottery was also collected. In the southwest corner of the field [at about SK 4238 3804], an area of kiln debris was also recorded with some broken saggars. These have not yet been investigated, and the date and how much remains of the kiln are unknown. (1) The field-walking project at Burnwood Farm, in the field centred at SK 4248 3821, was carried out in 1999. The finds are currently still held by the Derbyshire Archaeological Society . (2) A plan was produced by the Derbyshire Archaeological Society detailing the findspots of artefacts recovered during the 1999 field-walking project [see HER Parish File]. (3)
- <1> SDR22092 Unpublished document: Ebbins, S. 2014. Letter to EBC re proposed Burnwood Cemetery 27/03/2014.
- <2> SDR22094 Unpublished document: Ebbins, S. 2014. Email to Development Control Archaeologist re proposed natural burial ground at Burnwood Farm 27/03/2014.
- <3> SDR22093 Unpublished document: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. 1999. Plan of finds recovered during field-walking.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4251 3817 (358m by 444m)|
|Civil Parish||OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2015 11:03AM