Site record MDR14205 - Former trackway and ford, east of Cottage Farm, Longford

Type and Period (2)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

In the triangular field to the east of Cottage Farm are the archaeological remains of the former road or trackway that led down to a fording place over the brook. This road or track was made redundant in 1842 when the Earl of Leicester paid for the construction of the brick/stone bridge immediately south of Mill House. The undulations can be clearly seen on the ground. (1) The trackway is visible on Bing Maps aerial photographs [2014]. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Derbyshire Dales District Council (DDDC). 2011. Longford Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p. 8; fig. 6.
  • <2> *Internet Web Site: Bing Maps. Website viewed 08/09/2014.



Grid reference Centred SK 2205 3738 (139m by 41m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3987

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 24 2019 5:13PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.