Find Spot record MDR14208 - Various Chipped Stone Tools, Path North of Hope Brink, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- None recorded
Various chipped stone tools, on path north of Hope Brink, Hope, of possible Mesolithic date. On a number of occasions, a member of the public has found and retained chipped stone tools and debitage along the pathway to the north of Hope Brick on Win Hill. In 2014, for example, a small flint fragment was washed out of the eroding bank at the side of the path, still with cortex attached (please see photographs). (1-2) An archaeologist at Cheshire Council was of the opinion that it was probably retouched and likely a Mesolithic microlith, perhaps a borer or burin. (3) In 2015 a possible scraper was found under the same circumstances, was recovered from the same location (please see photographs). (4) Again in 2017 a collection of tools and possible debitage was similarly recovered. Photos with scale of a burin, thumbnail scrapper, and microliths or debris were submitted and attached. (5)
- <1> SDR22130 Correspondence: Wells, C. 2014. Email to HER Officer 10/05/2014 regarding flint fragment from Hope Brink (including photographs). Email.
- <2> SDR21014 Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Images (digital).
- <3> SDR22131 Correspondence: Wells, C. 2014. Email to HER Officer 27/05/2014 regarding flint fragment from Hope Brink. Email.
- <4> SDR23651 Correspondence: Wells, C. 2015. Email re flint scraper from Hope Brink (including photographs), received by HER Officer 03/09/2015. Email.
|Grid reference||SK 1755 8566 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 16 2019 12:50PM