A grade II listed public house and stables dating to 1671 and the 18th century. They are built of red brick with sandstone dressings, and have plain tile roofs with two large brick ridge stacks. They have chamfered stone coped gables with ball finials, and flush stone quoins. The public house is of two storeys with the stables behind enclosing a courtyard. The building has a symmetrical nine bay south elevation, with the centre bay advanced and gabled, and projecting gabled outer bays. There is a central carriage entrance with a segmental arch. It has rusticated stone piers, moulded imposts, a keystone and voussoirs. It is flanked on each side by three two-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows. The first floor has a central three-light mullion window flanked on each side by two similar two-light windows either side of a three-light window. The centre window has a moulded hoodmould, and in the gable there is a sash panel with a relief of the Vernon arms. The projecting outer bays have two two-light mullion windows to the ground floor and a similar three-light window above with a moulded hoodmould. There are small slit window in the gables. The gables have ball finials. Between them are two roof dormers with hipped roofs. Above the central arch is a 19th century wrought iron bracket supporting the sign, and two lamps on cast iron brackets. The west elevation has two tiers of two-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows and two roof dormers. The range of 18th century stables behind have a central carriage arch in line with the carriage arch from the street range. The interior has stud partitions and a staircase with splat balusters. (1)
The Vernon Arms was built by George Vernon in 1671. It is a symmetrical composition with slightly projecting outer bays, straight gables, and a segment-headed central carriageway. The windows are mullioned in the Tudor tradition. (2)
The Vernon Arms is architecturally significant and in its size and form is extremely prominent in the village. (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1274122.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 334.
Unpublished document: Derbyshire Dales District Council (DDDC). 2006. Sudbury Conservation Area Appraisal. HER Doc. No. 1539; pp. 19-20, with photograph.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1608 3206 (43m by 44m)
SUDBURY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 3 2018 2:54PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.