Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR14228 - Netherseal Old Hall, Church Street, Netherseal

Type and Period (4)

  • (Stuart to 21st Century - 1642 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Stuart to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Stuart to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Stuart to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Netherseal Old Hall, Church Street, Netherseal, originally built in 1642. From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 21 SE 5/25 2.9.52 PARISH OF NETHERSEAL CHURCH STREET (North Side) Netherseal Old Hall and attached outbuildings and garden walls GV II* House and attached outbuildings and garden walls. 1642, early C18 and 1751 with 1853, late C19 and 1908 additions and alterations. Early C18 house is of ashlar with stone dressings on chamfered stone plinth, plus plain tile roof with moulded stone coped gables on plain kneelers, large external gable stack with brick pots, and coved eaves cornice. Mid C18 part attached to north is of red brick on blue brick plinth with brick and stone dressings, and has plain tile roof, hipped to south end, with large brick ridge and gable stacks, plus dentilled eaves band. 1908 wing, attached to west of mid C18 wing, is of red brick with blue brick headers, on blue brick plinth and has stone dressings, also plain tile roof with moulded stone coped gables, brick gable stacks and a stepped eaves band. Two storeys plus attics with an irregular plan. Three bay early C18 part to south has a moulded, shouldered and chamfered doorcase with moulded cornice and pulvinated frieze, topped by later raised stone, inscribed 'E J 1751'. To north there is a square sectioned mullion and transom cross window in raised moulded surround with moulded sill and to south there are two similar windows. Above the southern window is a stone inscribed 'I M M 1642'. Above, the first floor has three similar windows to those below, and above again there is a hipped roof dormer with two-light casement window. Attached to north, the mid C18 part has a two storey canted bay addition of 1853 to southern end. This has a moulded first floor stone band inscribed 'Every house is builded by some man, but he that buildeth all things is God' and a moulded stone cornice inscribed 'H H 1853', with brick parapets over. The ground floor has two-light ovolo moulded mullion windows to angled walls and above there is a similar three-light window to front wall with adjoining single lights on the angled walls. Beyond to north the mid C18 house has a C19 recessed and chamfered stone cross window with coloured glass roundels in the to lights and to north there is a segment headed timber cross window. Above there is a similar window to north and a C19 stone two-light mullion window with pointed lights to south. Two hipped roof dormers above. 1908 wing at right angles to north has a four-centred arched doorcase with C18 panelled door to east and a four-light mullion window to west. Above the door is a single light window with dripmould and moulded sill, and to west there is a four-light oriel mullioned window with adjoining single lights to either side. Early C18 part has similar garden elevation to its main elevation, except there are also two recessed and chamfered two-light mullion basement windows and three hipped roof dormers. To north there is an advanced ashlar two bay part with C19 windows to east elevation, two adjoining plain sashes in moulded surround to south and a five-light mullioned and transomed canted bay window to north, with a three-light mullion window and a timber cross window above. South elevation of this part has a plain sash in a moulded early C18 surround to ground floor and a timber cross window over. Attached to west of the 1908 wing are various early C18 and early C19 brick outbuildings and attached to either side of these are the early C18 red brick garden walls with vitrified headers and chamfered stone copings. To north end of northern wall is a small gabled early C18 garden pavilion with diaper work to the back wall and to south corner of the southern wall is an arched stone doorcase. Southern wall runs for about 140 metres to east and has two sets of stone gate piers with segmental coping stones, one dated 1868 and the other dated 1908. Interior of the house has one complete early C18 panelled room with original fireplace, cornice and painting in the overmantle, which depicts the present house and garden as it was then. There are also several mid C18 panelled rooms, including the drawing room which has inset wall cupboards with mirrored backs and open scalloped shelves, and a re-set C17 splat baluster staircase. The other rooms were mostly refashioned in early C20, the dining room has C19 linenfold panelling from Drakelow Hall and the main staircase is a C17 style Edwardian staircase. Mid C18 open well staircase near kitchen has been much altered. At the base is a re-set early C18 panelled door which has an C18 painting on the back. Listing NGR: SK2899712892.' (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 28997 12892 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 7 2024 4:21PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.