Although scant physical evidence remains of the park at Alfreton, it is well documented in the medieval period in records of the Okeover family. By 1278 a park had been created. There is a very good moated site for a medieval manor house alongside the Scow (or Henmore) Brook with a mill site close by. The park here was sufficiently important to justify the employment of a parker. By 1630, when William Senior was commissioned to survey the manor, the park only contained 36 acres, but it seems likely that it was originally larger than this. Two fields are locally known as Parkfields. These are against the parish boundary of Hognaston that follows the Parkside Brook. They are bounded by a footpath to the northwest following a deep ditch that gives way to a double hedged track leading to the brook. To the west the park boundary follows the old track on the line of the prominent ditch and bank; the field name evidence of lawns, woods and riddings over much of this area points to the possibility that it stretched right down to the Scow Brook, where ridge and furrow is evident. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 24-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2286 4948 (878m by 946m)
ATLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2022 11:51AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.