Monument record MDR14233 - Barlborough Medieval Deer Park, Barlborough

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The M1 motorway separates the two medieval parks of Barlborough [see SMR 1150 also]. The landscape surrounding Barlborough Hall School [SMR 1105] still retains a park like character [see SMR 1132 for Registered Park and Garden]. This is the site of the medieval park originally known as Adam's Chamber, after Adam de Gridling of Whitwell, who held the manor in the late 13th century. A new manor house, Barlborough Hall, was completed in 1585 [when the parks and gardens surrounding it were relandscaped]. Here there are still extensive acres of open grassland with isolated trees, together with parcels of enclosed woodland and ponds. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 28-9.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4815 7813 (1551m by 1858m)
Civil Parish BARLBOROUGH, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3534

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 1 2022 11:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.