Barton Park and Middleton Park at Barton [SMR 21412] are about a mile apart; their history is interwoven and has proven difficult to unpick. Barton Hall stands adjacent to the moat [SMR 16801] and early church dedicated to St Chad [SMR 16802] within the present Barton Park. The site of the medieval village of Barton Blount [SMR 16804] lies just to the north and northeast of the hall. The medieval park of Barton with its lake and duck decoys surrounds the whole site together with much ridge and furrow. The first documentary evidence for this park is in the will of Walter Blount in 1474. Agistment and timber appear to have been important at Barton Park as they are mentioned in 15th century wills of the Blount family. There is, however, no mention of deer. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 30-3.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2086 3485 (1679m by 1453m)
BARTON BLOUNT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 2:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.