Breadsall Priory is now a hotel and golf course in park-like surroundings. This was the site of the small monastic house believed to have been founded by Henry Curzon sometime before 1266 [see SMR 17304]. First described as a hermitage, the monastic house only had a Prior and two canons. Their original land grant was of 20 acres of land in Hareston, but the hermitage seems to have been in Hugh de Dun's park at Breadsall. He initially gave them free pasturage and an acre of land within his park. Other small land grants followed and by the early 15th century the House of the Holy Trinity was firmly established here. The long, sinuous hedge line to the west of the present water works seems to be an early boundary and was possibly the boundary of Hugh de Dun's park. This would create a larger area of park than the current extent, with a central lodge. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 44-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3773 4099 (1746m by 1367m)
BREADSALL, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2022 2:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.