Site record MDR14243 - Culland Park (possible site of), Crich
Type and Period (1)
- DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1309 AD)
- None recorded
Nothing remains on the ground of a medieval park in the manor of Crich. The name Park Head, which appears on the modern OS map, was assumed to refer to Wingfield Park to the east [SMR 26235]. However it is possible that this was a junction sitting between the medieval parks of Crich and South Wingfield. Culland Farm is referred to as Colland Park in a survey in the 17th century and some good curving boundaries and the presence of Culland Wood suggest this could be the area where a medieval park was situated. The bounds are described in a charter of 1309 as starting from the river Amber up the hill past 'Bonhfeld' to the road called 'Steriswaye', down the hill again as far as 'Sonemouniswalle', and further down the hill to the river Amber. A strip of land between here and Wingfield Park to the east is still called the deer-leap by local farmers and perhaps represents the freeboard between the two parks. The first documentary evidence of this park is in a 1309 charter, but how long it had been in existence before this is unclear. It could be surmised that the FitzRalphs, with their right to hold hounds and a free chase at the centre of their baronry at the turn of the 13th century, would have wanted a private park in keeping with their status. (1)
- --- SDR24695 Unpublished document: Grange, E & Burpoe, M (ARS Ltd). 2019. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment Appraisal at Culland Farm, Winfield Park, Alfreton..
- --- SDR24704 Unpublished document: Grange, E & Burpoe, M (ARS Ltd). 2019. An Historic Environment Desk Based and Historic Building Assessment, Thorpe Hill Farm, Fritchley.
- <1> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 60-1.
- <2> SDR24666 Unpublished document: Nuth, G (ARS). 2020. Culland Farm, South Wingfield: Historic Building Survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3620 5406 (543m by 1032m)|
|Civil Parish||CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 8:08AM