By the Quo Warranto of 1330 the Prior and monks at Tutbury claimed both free warren and a park at Ednaston. A hundred years later a description of the Priory's holdings included Ednaston with a capital messuage and an enclosure that could have been the park. There are two possible sites for this: one to the north of the A52 above what is now called the Monks Pond and the other south near to Ednaston Hall, where some fields bear park names. These fields cross the brook and make a neat parcel of ground bounded by a strip of woodland to the north. Fieldwork in the first of these places revealed a bank going north from Brook Cottage along a continuous winding hedgeline and other boundaries joining up to form an ovoid enclosure. This is no doubt in the area where Ednaston Wood was located but whether this, or part of it, became a park, or it was where the field names survive is speculation. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 72-3.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2378 4210 (899m by 3310m) (2 map features)
BRAILSFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2023 11:16AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.