There are few clues as to whether there was a medieval park at Foremark. The first mention of a park comes in 1620, from the Burdett Collection in Derbyshire Record Office. The Burdetts had acquired Foremark through marriage to one of the Franceys in 1602. As early as 1565 a 'Scadosse yeate' was documented. The Scaddows and Scaddows Wood are adjacent to the parish boundary by Foremark Park Farm and may have given their name to an entrance to Foremark Park called Scaddows Gate. If this were so, it strengthens the idea that a park was there in the time of the Franceys family or possibly earlier. The second mention appears in 1737, when the proposed design for the gardens of Foremark Hall was submitted for a later member of the Burdett family. The map of 1737 shows in detail the proposed layout of the gardens and park. One of the roadways is labelled 'Avenue to the old park', indicating that the old park was on a different site to the newly designed one surrounding the hall [see SMR 20007]. The present OS map shows the parish of Foremark to be long and thin, stretching from the River Trent almost to the southern end of Foremark reservoir. It is in this bottom third, now partly submerged below water, that it is considered the old park was situated. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 76-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3347 2396 (1263m by 1594m)
FOREMARK, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 19 2018 2:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.