The former boundaries of the medieval deer park at Gresley are unclear and not fully defined. It is possible that Swainspark Wood, bounded on the south by Park Road, and Gresley Wood, now on opposite sides of the Castle/Church Gresley parish boundary, were once part of the whole parcel called Gresley Park. This, together with a 'hay', is first documented in the 13th century. For the intervening 500 years no records of Gresley park have so far been found. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 78-79.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2939 1736 (1100m by 1340m)
SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 10:56AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.