The earliest manor house at West Hallam no doubt stood on the moated site now in Pitholes Plantation, or Moat Wood. A map of 1718 shows a later hall sited to the north of the church. However, this was demolished at some time after 1821 and a different house was built to the west of the church. This too has now gone. The 18th century map shows a Great Park and Little Park to the west of the hall. On the same map 'Fearny Lawnd' is marked to the east of the Cat and Fiddle within an egg shaped plot of demesne land, which could have been an earlier park. The wood in West Hallam was an important asset, holding within it mines from the 14th century; this was just the type of asset lords of the manor in this area were often seeking to protect with a park pale. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 180-1.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4368 4050 (1805m by 940m)
EREWASH, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2015 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.