Monument record MDR14255 - Ilkeston Park, Ilkeston
Type and Period (1)
- PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1381 AD)
- None recorded
Two parks, said to be extant in the 14th century or later, and disparked, have been recorded at Ilkeston. (Name Ilkeston shown on OS 1:10000 1982, centred SK 4641). The Cantilupe family had two parks in Ilkeston in 1330. (1, 3) 'The Park' appears to have been first recorded in 1794. (1) Name The Park shown on OS 6" 1887 at SK 472 417. The exact locations of the former parks have not been identified. However, modern place names in the area of The Park, such as Park Cemetery, Park Avenue and Park Road, all shown on OS 1:10000 1982, suggest that one of the parks was probably situated here. (1, 2, 3) Although now a largely built up area, there are pockets of land within Ilkeston where vestiges of open ground can be seen. These areas tally with parks shown on the maps of 1597 and those of the 19th century. They show that there were two parks on opposite sides of the town, although it is difficult to determine which was the 'old park' and which was the new [see SMR 33721 also]. It seems likely that one park was in the area northwest of the parish church [SMR 33721], with the other park situated on the other side of the church, sloping away eastwards to the River Erewash. This area has been most heavily infilled with later, mainly Victorian, housing. However some evidence of banking has been detected near to the cemetery and in some of the open ground beside the Erewash Canal. There is much street name evidence to support this location: lawn areas are shown on the 16th and 19th century maps for both locations. (4)
- <1> SDR84 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. 193.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p. 474.
- <3> SDR5911 Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p. 174.
- <4> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 98-9.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4712 4173 (838m by 655m)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:23PM