Boundaries are difficult to determine- it is recorded that the previous Anglo Saxon holders lost the land of Snelston in 1086 and it was passed to Henry de Ferres. In 1232 Geoffrey of Okeover had an agreement to enclose and cultivate 30 acres of land in Snelston. By the 17th century 'Snelston Parke' was recorded of having 36 acres. There is a ditch to the east which divides ridge and furrow and an absence of it. The park may have stretched further following the hedge line east of Parkfield Lane. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 162-163.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1588 4358 (1060m by 707m)
SNELSTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2015 10:34AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.