Stanley Park has interwoven links with the Abbey of Dale. Ralph, son of Geremund of Ockbrook had allowed a hermit from Derby to establish a chapel in Depedale in the early 12th century. A later attempt to establish a new religious house was made in 1155 by William de Grendon when six Premonstratensian canons were sent from Tupholme. By 1200 William de Grendon bestowed the adjoining Depedale to further support the canons, which flourished until the Dissolution. The park does not appear to have included the local abbey 'Parco Stanley'. The medieval plot is consider to be marked coppiced hazel hedge along Hagg Lane forming a distinct boundary, which then turns to follow a track leading to Stanley village. There is evidence of an offset entrance on the eastern footpath. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 164-165.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4248 3995 (967m by 839m)
STANLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 8 2014 11:07AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.