A bank close to the River Trent may mark the northerly limit of the former medieval deer park at Walton-on-Trent. The parish boundary may also form some of the rest of the circuit; lawn field names occur at the extreme edge of the Catton and Walton parish boundaries. There are extensive warrens to the north, some way outside the park on the valley bottom sand and silt. Features on the ground are meagre, but some field patterns help to shape the polygon suggested on the map, enclosing the present Hall, the Old Hall and Walton Wood. The first documentary reference of a park at Walton was in 1313, when Richard But complained to the King that his park at Walton on Trent had been broken in to and deer taken away. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 178-9.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2139 1713 (1035m by 1823m)
WALTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2020 4:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.