Monument record MDR1430 - Earthwork enclosure and banks, 550m south-west of Meadow Place Grange, Youlgreave
Type and Period (6)
- QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Former Type) ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LYNCHET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
In the bottom of the shallow dale running westwards from Meadow Place Grange (SMR 15723), and below and outside of the probable Medieval Grange boundary/field system (SMR 29303), is a square earthwork enclosure c.85 metres by 85 metres. The southern and eastern sides appear to be defined by a single bank, but the northern side may be more complex. There is a possible entrance mid-way along the eastern edge with the two sides being slightly off-set. However, a bank running down into the enclosure from the south may also terminate at the entrance. The southern bank of the enclosure continues to the west where it terminates against the existing field wall by a dew pond. Stone quarries have cut the bank of the enclosure on the northern side. (1,2). An area of medieval field system which is comprised of two boundaries running at right angle to each other, probably the remanents of a former medieval field system, a boundary lynchet which runs approximately east to west, various banks and ditches and a field wall. The features are shown on a 1528 map along with a building, oruientated north to south. No other evidence for this building exists. The area is disturbed by later stone quarrying (no.11). (3).
- <1> SDR1337 Aerial Photograph: 1996. AP: NMR12952/32.
- <2> SDR1338 Aerial Photograph: 1996. AP: NMR12952/33.
- <3> SDR616 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1995. Meadow Place Grange, Youlgreave, with land near Weaddow Lane, Middleton & Smerrill, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1995. 207. No. 4 and 11, pp 9, 11, illus..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1956 6551 (259m by 260m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2015 12:09PM