Monument record MDR1437 - Parsley Hay bowl barrow, south-west of New Vincent Farm, Hartington Middle Quarter

Type and Period (3)

  • (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK1449 6314: Parsely hay bowl barrow: correlation queried. (15). The linkage of the following excavation details with this site have been questioned (15), see below. Cairn at Parsley Hay opened by T. Bateman on 6th March 1848. The primary inhumation was in a rock-cut grave, in a sitting position, with sherds of a Beaker, group indeterminable, and three flints. On the covering stones of the grave was a crouched skeleton with a rivetted round heeled bronze dagger and a perforated granite group XII battle axe. (2,4). Tumulus (Human Remains, Axehead, Dagger etc. found). (3). It became a scheduled monument on the 13th October 1951 and was rescheduled on the 13th July 1992. Parsley Hay bowl barrow is a sub-circular cairn located in the western upland ridges of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. In addition to the main mound of the barrow the monument includes two smaller mounds which extend from the south-western and south-eastern edges. The former measures 8m by 6.5m by ½m high while the latter, which is roughly circular, has a diameter of 9½m and also stands ½m high. The larger mound comprises a sloping platform which contains a kerb of limestone blocks set in a circle of diameter 16½m which itself encircles a steeper-sided inner mound with a diameter of 11m. The overall dimensions of the larger mound are 25m by 22½m by 1½m high. The main mound was partially excavated by Bateman in 1848 and a central grave pit found cut into the rock beneath the old land surface. This contained a crouched or sitting skeleton accompanied by flint artefacts and fragments of a beaker by which the barrow was dated to the early Bronze Age. Overlying the grave pit were flat slabs of limestone on which a second crouched inhumation was found accompanied by a granite axehead and a bronze dagger. (7). A large, almost conical cairn; earth-packed and grassed over. Resurveyed at 1/2500. (8) This unusual barrow has several features which are difficult to interpret with certainty. The main mound has steep sided edges rising to a domed platform. On this, and somewhat eccentric, is a kerb of blocks with a diameter of 16½m. Within the kerb, and eccentrically placed to the north-east, is an upper mound with somewhat steeper sides and a diameter of c.11m. This is somewhat irregular and could be replaced material from an excavation. At the north-west side of the outer mound is a small trench which looks to be an undocumented 20th century excavation. At the south-east edge of the main mound is a smaller one of 9½m diamater, ½m high , with a central pit. At the south-west edge of the main mound is a second less regular one measuring 8m by 6½m and ½m high. Either the site is a complex multiphased structure, or it utilises a natural knoll, and taking a minimal view only the mound within the kerb is artficial. The excavations by Bateman on 6th March 1848 were not certainly at this site and hence have been updated separately [SMR 29016]. It is possible that this site may correspond to Barnatt's sites 7:22 or 7:23. (15)

Sources/Archives (16)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1855. Descriptive Catalogue of the Antiquities at Lomberdale House. p102.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 22-24.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1923. 6".
  • <4> Article in serial: Fox, C and Grimes, W F. 1928. 'Corston Beacon, an early Bronze Age cairn in south Pembrokeshire', Archaeologia Cambrensis. Volume 8. p163.
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
  • <6> Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1955. 'The Transition from the late Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 75, pp 77-112. p88.
  • <7> Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales.
  • <8> Personal Observation: 1966. F1 FRH.
  • <9> Article in serial: Roe, F. 1966. 'The Battle-Axe Series in Britain', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 32.
  • <10> Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. No.133F.
  • <11> Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78.
  • <12> Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 46-47.
  • <13> Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee (NDAC). North Derbyshire Archaeological Committee Index. 1977: 1078.
  • <14> Index: NDAT. 1078. 1078.
  • <15> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:57.
  • <16> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 6836.1.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1448 6314 (20m by 20m) (Centre)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR1175
  • EDR328

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 9 2015 10:34AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.