Monument record MDR1438 - Round Barrow, Carder Low, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (4)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- STONE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 1301 6263 : CARDER LOW, ROUND BARROW. The barrow was opened by T. Bateman on 21st May 1845. It is now badly damaged. At the centre, on the old ground surface, was a primary contracted adult inhumation, its head to the east, lying on its right side. By the elbow was a bronze dagger with three rivets and traces of a wooden handle. Lower down was a perforated battle axe of Group XII stone. A piece of burnt flint was found near the head. A secondary Anglian? Adult inhumation, accompanied by an iron knife, three whetstones and a few pieces of burnt bone, was found nearer the south side of the mound, on a higher level. In the excavation trench in general were c.80 quartz pebbles, "several instruments of flint" including a barbed arrowhead and a few sherds of a "coarse urn, curiously ornamented". (1,3,10,12). Tumulus. Carder Low. (4). Anglian secondary. (5,6). A much mutilated but still substantial cairn. Published survey (25") revised. (7). A barrow about 14 yards [12.8m] in diameter, 2 feet [0.6m] high, its top had been removed. The correlation seems secure as the description fits and this is the only barrow on Carder Low. The site was not visited during 1988 as permission was refused. (12).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 63-64.
- <2> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p6, 65.
- <3> SDR6862 Article in serial: Fox, C and Grimes, W F. 1928. 'Corston Beacon, an early Bronze Age cairn in south Pembrokeshire', Archaeologia Cambrensis. Volume 8. p162.
- <4> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <5> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. p42.
- <6> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites. p74.
- <7> SDR6315 Personal Observation: 1966. F1 FRH.
- <8> SDR13183 Article in serial: Roe, F. 1966. 'The Battle-Axe Series in Britain', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 32. p32, 224, 233, 245.
- <9> SDR13190 Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78. p65, 71.
- <10> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 46-70.
- <11> SDR10492 Index: NDAT. 1077. 1077.
- <12> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:24.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1300 6263 (16m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2009 3:12PM