SK 1262 6155. A large mound, 20 metres in diameter, with four metre slopes on the north side, possibly a motte and bailey. (1)
At SK 1262 6155, a small extension from the scarp above the Dove, has been artificially accentuated and cut off by a ditch. There is no evidence of a bailey but it can hardly be anything but a motte, and on a small scale it practically duplicates Pilsbury Castle (SMR 6857). Surveyed at 1/2500. (2)
The monument comprises a man-made castle mound or motte built on a natural crag that falls away steeply to the north and west. On all sides but north it is surrounded by a broad ditch that is c. two metres deep, the material from which has been used to built the motte. The latter has a flat top of 20-25 metres diameter and presumably was originally surmounted by a timber keep or palisade. To the north, the side of the mound has partly collapsed, making the top irregular in plan. The whole side is currently (in 1991) suffering badly from livestock erosion and the lack of turf leaves the mound prone to further collapse. Nothing is known of the history of the Bank Top motte. Simple earthwork castles such as this usually date from the 11th or 12th century and if still is use in the late 13th century, had their timber defences replaced by walls of stone. Thus the Bank Top motte was probably abandoned by this date. There is no sign of a bailey associated with the motte and there is no reason to think one ever existed. This may suggest the site was abandoned soon after it was constructed, never becoming a permanent base for the defence of the valley. Thus the site contrasts with Pilsbury Castle a short distance further up the valley, which has two baileys. It is possible, therefore, that Pilsbury could be seen as a replacement fortification to that at Bank Top. They both occupy similar natural crags in the narrow Dove Valley, each controlling passage down the valley from the north. The use of both castles at the same time would seem unnecessary. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cole, F G (reviser). 1960. S.S. 6".
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Bank Top Farm, Hartington Town Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1991. SMR Doc. No. 57, Feature no. 2.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7035.1-6.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1261 6153 (149m by 114m) (Centre)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2016 4:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.