Monument record MDR1444 - Round barrow (lost), Vincent Knoll, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 13 63: VINCENT KNOLL, ROUND BARROW (Lost). A much reduced and ill defined barrow on a hill facing Vincent Knoll was opened by T.Bateman on 25th June 1850. A rock cut grave, four feet [1.2 metres] deep, contained two contracted inhumations. One lay on its left side, the other on its right, the latter was accompanied by a "a large and good instrument of slightly burnt grey flint", the other by two "weapons of flint". Two of the finds are illustrated in (5), one is a scraper, the other undiagnostic. (6). Not located. (3). There are no extant recorded barrows which fit this description, Vincent Knoll was described by Bateman as a "field near Parcelly Hay"; the name is no longer current but was presumably somewhere near Vincent House at SK 137 632. Locating the position of this barrow is compounded by the lack of direction of the hill from Vincent knoll. The two extant barrows in the vicinity (SMR 6837; SMR 6836), are well preserved and thus cannot be the site in question. (6). Parsely Hay is located on the map at SK 147 636 near New Vincent Farm. If the barrow existed, it was probably located near this reference. (7).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p68.
- <2> SDR3117 Unpublished document: Bateman, T. n.d.. Descriptions of, and Observations on, Further Discoveries in the Barrows of Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR6315 Personal Observation: 1966. F1 FRH.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p47.
- <5> SDR10516 Index: NDAT. 1137. 1137.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:55.
- <7> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 14 63 (476m by 553m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 2007 10:39AM