Site record MDR14463 - Site of Weston Camp (Camp 634), Northwest of St Mary's Church, Weston upon Trent
Type and Period (1)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (Second World War to Mid 20th Century - 1939 AD? to 1948 AD?)
- None recorded
Former site of Weston Camp (Camp 634), Northwest of St Mary's Church, Weston upon Trent, a Second World War German prisoner of war camp. A World War Two military camp has been identified at this location on aerial photographs taken in August 1945. (1) From the National Monument Record: 'The site of a Second World War prisoner of war camp at Weston on Trent, known as Camp 634. This was a working camp for German prisoners, who worked as labourers in the local area. It could have been in use up until 1948. The camp comprised huts laid out in an irregular plan enclosed by a wire perimeter fence. A second camp was located to the south of this at SK 3955 2778. Both of these camps are referred Weston Camp and could have been part of the same complex.' (2) According to a 2003 study, the camp was classified as 'partly remaining' at the time, despite it having been largely removed. This classification could have included pathways or fences. (3) A rapid map regression study, and walkover survey, was carried out in 2019 and determined that none of the original camp buildings survived in the northern part, and were demolished between 1955 and 1967. Some of the standing buildings in the southern part of the camp however, are original, and a series of photographs were taken of these at the time. (4)
- <1> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
- <2> SDR24385 Index: Historic England. nd. National Monuments Record. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475652.
- <3> SDR24459 Monograph: Thomas, R JC (English Heritage). 2003. Prisoner of War Camps (1939-1948), Twentieth Century Military Recording Project.
- <4> SDR24460 Unpublished document: Lacey, P. 2019. No. 2 Tower Farm, Swarkestone Road, Weston on Trent.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3959 2788 (457m by 753m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 3 2022 11:16AM