Monument record MDR1454 - ?Shrunken Village, Pilsbury, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 128 634. Shrunken village of Pilsbury. (1). Three farms survive at Pilsbury. One building platform was noted along with traces of medieval agriculture in the pasture. However these may indicate no more than a long tradition of farming in the area. (2,3). No earthworks or cropmarks were identified on an aerial photograph of the region. (4).
- <1> SDR16241 Bibliographic reference: Wightman, E. 1961. 'Open Field Agriculture in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. vol.81, p115. p115.
- <2> SDR6315 Personal Observation: 1966. F1 FRH.
- <3> SDR10527 Index: NDAT. 1151. 1151.
- <4> SDR1229 Aerial Photograph: 1971. Fairey Surveys 1:12000. AP 15_925.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 116 633 (415m by 402m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2007 3:53PM