Monument record MDR1470 - Limekiln and quarry, Banktop, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SK 1317 6159. A limekiln exists at Banktop. (1) Banktop kiln is an 18th century kiln showing features associated with a field kiln. (2) The limekiln and quarry is recorded on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map and was therefore built before this date. (3) Large well-preserved lime kiln. The draw tunnel and the facing are still intact but the furnace chamber is mostly rubble-filled and overgrown. (4) This quarry has a sheer upslope face with a stock-protection wall above. Below the quarry is a circular lime kiln of relatively large 19th century type (large for a field kiln as opposed to an industrial kiln). The lime kiln is drywall-retained on the downslope side and has a large approach tunnel here. This is barrel vaulted and leads to two draught/emptying holes. The kiln can be seen to be brick-lined and strengthened by horizontal iron bands. Leading from the tunnel is a steep-sided gully dug into the hillside, into which a cart could be drawn and used to remove the burnt lime. Leading to the kiln at the top is a terraced track. This is built across the quarry, indicating that the kiln continued to be loaded with limestone from elsewhere, presumably after the quarry here stopped being used. (5)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. unnumbered.
- <2> SDR3861 Bibliographic reference: 1975. CBA Panel on Industrial Monuments. p10.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR13032 Unpublished document: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1986. Limekiln Survey 1985 and 1986. No 247, with photo.
- <5> SDR19188 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Bank Top Farm, Hartington Town Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1991. SMR Doc. No. 57.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7060.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1320 6163 (54m by 54m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2016 4:01PM