Monument record MDR1475 - Vincent Knoll, Round Barrow (lost), Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Excavations at 'Vincent Knoll' near 'Parcelly Hay' by Bateman on the 24th May 1849, have previously been ascribed to SMR 6837-6838. This is in error as indicated by the mismatch between the description of the site and the extant barrow at 6837. Bateman dug at the disturbed centre of a large barrow, the rest having been removed previously. There are no extant sites known which fit this description. The only find was an irregular, shallow rock cut grave. This contained four inhumations, two contracted, one with a cow horn core, the other with a flint scraper. The other burials were either disarticulated or disturbed, one with an animal tooth. An Anglian iron spearhead was also found, which may have been introduced from above. Bateman does not give enough data to determine the burial sequence (contrary to what other commentators have suggested), nor to say which if any were associated with the spearhead. (3) The extant barrow (SMR 6837) now has a separate entry. (4) Excavated by Bateman in 1849, when an Anglian inhumation was found near the top of a rock-cut grave under a barrow. Only the upper parts of the skeleton remained, associated with a small iron spear head. (5)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p49.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p45.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:56.
- <4> SDR13879 Index: Ordnance Survey (OS). SK 16, SW 10. SK 16 SW 10..
- <5> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 14 63 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 20 2015 8:56AM