First mention of the mill appears in Duchy of Lancaster accounts of 1434-1435 when the mill was occupied on a ten year lease by John Pole. The mill was still in use following Enclosure in 1800, but had fallen into disuse by the early 20th century. The site remained at least partly in use beyond the mill's demise, with the tail leat being used as a sheepwash. The areas north and west of the drying oven has for many years been used as a tip and been subjected to mechanised earth moving within the last 20 years. (1)
Four areas of excavation took place on the site of a post-medieval watermill complex. Unknown structural remains were identified along with a corn drying kiln. A limestone flagged floor of unknown date, possibly a yard, was uncovered. Dry stone walling (possibly relating to a sheepwash) was excavated. (2)
Unpublished document: Atha, M (TPAU). 2002. Crowdecote Watermill, Derbyshire: Excavation of a Post-Medieval Trackway and Photographic Survey of the Mill Complex.
Unpublished document: Hurford M & Sheppard, R (TPAU). 2003. An archaeological watching brief at Crowdecote, Derbyshire, 2003.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.