Monument record MDR1491 - Lead Rake, Cotesfield Farm, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAKE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1300 6475; 1380 6475: Cotesfield Farm, lead rake. Length of lead rake containing lead mine complex SMR 6871. Area from SK 1325 6475 to SK 1360 6475 is largely reclaimed particularly in the same field as 6871, where all that remains is one mostly filled shaft with about 0.5m of ginging showing. East of SMR 6871 the ground is uneven with some partly filled shafts still showing. From SK 1325 6475 west to the High Peak Trail, there are some good remains of twin rakes and their heaps, merging into a single rake downhill towards the Trail. The railway (CHPR/LNWR) cut through this rake. (1) There is a long rake running east to west across the farmland. To the east of the lead mine complex [SMR 6871], the rake branches into two veins, one heading off to the south-east. There is one capped shaft at the eastern end of the vein. Both the eastern and western ends of the rake have been levelled leaving only slight hummocks. Some waste heaps and hollows are intact to the west where the railway cuts the rake. There is a probable extension to the rake to the south-west just past the mine. (3).
- <1> SDR12713 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PDNPA). 1988. Personal communication regarding sites in the Peak District, 7th of December, 1988.
- <2> SDR1375 Aerial Photograph: 1984. AP: PPJPB: MAFF: 1984: 5/200, 201..
- <3> SDR20259 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Cotesfield Grange, Hartington Middle Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1997. No.12, p15.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1356 6465 (1430m by 368m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 26 2015 2:29PM