Francis Thompson, builder, engineer and original occupant of Hill House, designed an early Newcomen-type ‘atmospheric’ steam-pumping engine for use in Ashover’s largest and most profitable lead mine, the Gregory Mine. Thompson lived in Hill House from 1780 until his death 1809. He is buried in Ashover churchyard. (1)
Vernacular building dated to 1782 as indicated by datestone. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Warner, T & Buxton, P (North East Derbyshire District Council). 1979. Ashover Village Trail.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3501 6360 (32m by 16m)
ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.