The cottage was built in 1703 by William Hodgkinson of Overton Hall as a free school. Despite being described as a ‘free school’, pupils paid a weekly wage of 3d, and provided their own slates and books. The school finally closed in 1877, though for a short time thereafter was used as a Sunday School. (1)
Vernacular building dated to 1703 as indicated by datestone. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Warner, T & Buxton, P (North East Derbyshire District Council). 1979. Ashover Village Trail.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3494 6371 (20m by 15m)
ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.