Monument record MDR14961 - Hill Top House, Ashover

Type and Period (2)

  • (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1954 AD to 1971 AD)
  • (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1954 AD to 1971 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The private residence of Hill Top House was for 17 years the headquarters of a fauna reserve known as ‘Pan’s Garden’ run by the Keeling family. The zoo, founded in 1954 and opened to the public in Easter 1955 boasted some 250 specimens. It was the home of ‘the Sugar Puffs Bear’, who, not content with the attention he enjoyed as the star of a cereal commercial broke from his cage one year. He was recaptured after being spotted on the loose by a local farmhand. The zoo was closed at the end of 1971. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Warner, T & Buxton, P (North East Derbyshire District Council). 1979. Ashover Village Trail.



Grid reference Centred SK 3464 6403 (74m by 84m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 1 2017 4:43PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.