At the time of the Domesday Book Breadsall consisted of one single manorial estate with subsidiary holdings in Morley. In or above 1237 a 'late' Robert de Duyn divided the manor between his sons Hugh and Sampson. Sampson got the southern half of the manor roughly divided E-W, then by a bank (alluded to in the charter), now probably by the old Mansfield Road (before its diversion by the Great Northern Railway in 1876-8). This part of the Manor seems to have extended to the Morley Road in the east and southward to the scarp overlooking the Derwent Valley. It included around thirty households. Because this charter was enacted prior to the 'Ruda Emproreo' proclamation, the divided manor became two feudal units each with its own Lord, sharing only a church. Sampson's part became known as Breadsall Nether Hall and Hugh's as Breadsall Upper Hall. Sampton's Nether Hall, the site of today's so-called Oakwood, changed hands a number of times until 1593, when the two parts of the manor were re-united. It is possible that, with the 1237 division of the manor, a subsidiary settlement grew up around the Manor House erected by Sampson or his predecessors. Pottery evidence suggests that a separate settlement existed before 1237, with occasional finds of Stamford Ware pottery dateable to around 1100. The settlement, which would have been well-placed on a well-drained south-west facing slope, may have failed through plague decimation in the mid 14th century.
Site visits were made by Derby Museums between 1982 and 1985. Much pottery was found on the ground surface [unfortunately a map was not included with the notes]. Romano-British finds in the area, including pottery sherds and a spindle whorl [see SMR 32838] indicate that this same south-facing slope had previously attracted a Romano-British settlement. Medieval finds in this area include a silver 1d of 1216-47, found in ground disturbed by building work in November 1982 at SK 377 388; a Nuremberg Jeton dating to the 15th century, found in the garden of 3 Lindford Close; a lead token, found at SK 3765 3895; and much Stamford Grove (c. 1080-1150) and Burley Hill Grove pottery in the area. More 14th century pottery, a charcoal layer, house platforms, sunken lanes, and wall footings were observed in this area in 1982.
In March 1988, the sites identified above were re-visited, but they were all found to be built on or destroyed by the removal of top soil or the passage of earth moving plant.
The conclusion is that most of the area where plainly a deserted medieval village called Breadsall Nether Flatt overlay a probable Romano-British settlement has already been destroyed. (1, 2)
Trial trenches dug in 2017 towards the northeast of the area indicated by Craven revealed no features that might be related to medieval settlement. <3>