Probably part of an ancient track running from Longside to Goytside, and then onto Beard and Laneside. Burdett's map of Cheshire in 1777 shows a road crossing the Goyt here and it is known as 'Pott's Bridge', but in 1829 this had been replaced by a ford. By 1827 a footbridge had been built. The nearby weir and sluice were constructed about 1890 to provide water power to drive a turbine-pmp housed in the square stone building adjacent to the weir. Spring water was piped to this pump from a mine-sough at Gowhole and treated on the spot before being pumped up to Ballbeard reservoir to provide parts of New Mills with a water supply. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derbyshire County Council. 1987. The Torrs Riverside Park Bridges Trail- the park under the town.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0030 8453 (39m by 67m)
NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2015 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.