Site record MDR1505 - Boundary Earthwork Near Pilsbury Lodge, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Boundary earthwork near Pilsbury Lodge, Hartington Town Quarter, possibly of medieval date. Drystone wall and earthworks which form the boundary between Pilsbury Grange, the field systems of Pilsbury and the common. (1) SK 13 63. Earthwork boundary to Pilsbury grange, noted by LH Butcher. There is evidence of internal field boundaries, their relationship with the grange boundary is unclear but they appear to respect and conform to it. (1) Plan of earthwork boundary. (2) SK 12 63. Possible township boundary, noted by LH Butcher. It may be medieval in date. (3) 'Drystone wall, at one point with earthworks, marking the boundary between Pilsbury Grange and / or the land farmed by the people of Pilsbury and the waste and commons beyond to the east... The bank is approximately 4m wide and c0.5m high. The earliest available map of the area which records the boundary is from 1614.' (4)
- <1> SDR10613 Index: NDAT. 2155. 2155.
- <2> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. 158.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2156.
- <4> SDR20179 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Pilsbury Grange Farm, Hartington Town Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2003. p6, illus. 6-7, illus.
|Grid reference||SK 1327 6299 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2021 4:19PM