A field-walking a metal detector survey was carried out in this field in 2013/14:
* A possible Upper Palaeolithic scraper/flake core was found on the west facing slope.
* A small scatter of late Bronze Age/early Iron Age pottery was recovered in the southern third of the field. These sherds have a medium hard black to dark orange fabric with a flint temper.
* A small scatter of abraded Roman sherds, including local grey ware, Derbyshire ware and hammer head mortaria.
* A small scatter of 13th-14th century Stamford type and medieval sandy ware sherds, representing jars and bowls. A small number of late medieval Midland Purple and Cistercian ware sherds were also recovered. An almost complete medieval glazed floor tile, possibly 14th/15th century in date, was recovered in the eastern third of the field.
* A moderate scatter of post-medieval pottery was found, representing Ticknall pancheons and butterpots. Staffordshire slip ware, Black ware, Westerwald and stoneware vessel were also represented. Four tobacco pipe bowls dating from 1660 to 1680 were also recovered. (1)
The field was walked again in early December 2014. Walking was focussed on the area that produced prehistoric pottery in the previous survey. A small number of sand and quartz tempered sherds were recovered. The largest inclusions were quartz, and not calcined flint as previously noted. It is possible that this pottery represents activity in the mid or late Iron Age. A fine copper alloy brooch dating to the mid-late 1st century AD was found nearby. (2)
Unpublished document: Saunders, P. 2014. Catton Hall Estate: PAS and HER Summary, Witan Archaeology Survey, 2013-2014.
Unpublished document: Saunders, P. 2014. Catton Hall Estate: HER Summary December Update, Witan Archaeology Survey.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2110 1485 (430m by 455m)
CATTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2015 3:26PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.