Monument record MDR1511 - Lead mine, Hand Dale, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- IRONSTONE MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ADIT (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 147 612. Hand Dale, lead mine. Lead and ironstone working, now defunct. Entrance to shaft driven into hillside. (1). Photograph collection. (2). Hand Dale level. A deep horizontal entrance to an adit cut through rock, c.15 metres long and five metres high at the northern entrance. The 1880 Ordnance Survey map records it as an 'Old Level - Ironstone and Lead'. There is an associated waste heap c. two metres high to the southwest. Hand Dale level is a typical 19th century adit in size and shape, cut through rock. Hand Dale mine was registered in the mid-19th century as a lead mine by the Sheepridge Company who owned blast furnaces in Chesterfield. Ironstone was also extracted from the mine. (3). This lead mine has been recorded as a high priority site and includes Hartington Level which is a mid-19th century haulage level where lead and ironstone were mined. (4).
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. Un-numbered NDAT card.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 20, 17-19.
- <3> SDR19415 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1999. Hartington Moor Farm, Hartington Town and Middle Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey. Feature 34.
- <4> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site U27, pp 201-202.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 145 611 (75m by 136m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2015 10:01AM