Building record MDR15145 - The Kings Head, 3 Town Street, Duffield

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1880 AD to 1899 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Kings Head has a rather varied history. It was once visited by Oliver Cromwell and his men. The Kings Head was formerly the chief hostelry of the village and as such was used to billet soldiers who were passing through. The last recorded billeting being in around 1880 when a small detachment of horse soldiers stayed overnight. Cromwell’s Barn which is attached to the pub itself still shows the signs of its past history. Horse rings remain on the walls as do stone water troughs and Hay troughs. The cobbled stone floor is just one of the many original features. (1)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> *Internet Web Site: 2015. The Kings Head, Duffield. http://www.kingsheadduffield.co.uk/about%20us.php.
  • <2> Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Parish Files - Duffield (paper).

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3446 4351 (19m by 30m)
Civil Parish DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.