Monument record MDR15164 - Bridge House toll house (site of), Ladywood Road, Kirk Hallam
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1790 AD to 1961 AD)
Loading documents & images
The Nutbrook Canal Company's very grand toll-house at Kirk Hallam, demolished in 1961. Built on the bridge crossing and near to the Kirk Hallam Lock. (1)
Bridge House was built in the 1790's as offices of the Nutbrook Canal Company. In 1887 Ilkeston Borough Council General Works Committee resolved that Bridge House should be let. The house was used on a Christmas card in 1915 sent to Ilkeston soldiers. The property was badly vandalised in 1961 and demolition proposed and approval given. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Stevenson, P. 1970. The Nutbrook Canal, Derbyshire.
*Internet Web Site: Picture the Past. www.picturethepast.org.uk.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4610 4043 (24m by 26m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 4:32PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.